Maarssen (south Stichtse Vecht) – Nederhorst den Berg (Wijdemeren)
In the old days the Reevaart (vaart = canal) was cutting Nederhorst den Berg in two. The Reevaart was dug in 1629, to avoid a time-consuming curve in the river Vecht, like the much younger (1935) Desborough Cut, part of the river Thames near Weybridge/Walton on Thames. When the Merwedekanaal came available to the commercial shipping in 1892 (later on...
...succeeded by the mighty Amsterdam-Rijnkanaal), the route from Amsterdam towards the river Rhine was hugely improved, making the river Vecht no longer necessary for commercial shipping. Subsequently the Reevaart was infilled during the second half of the 20th century. Of course we always prefer the scenic route. (Click on the pictures to enlarge.)
Where once the drawbridge catched the eye in the centre of the village, now we see a bandstand at exactly the same spot. Inside the (once) stately home now houses a...
...bicycle shop. One window has been sacrificed for it. That is today the entrance door to the store. The street visible in both photos is still called Brugstraat (‘bridge street’).
Leuk die vergelijken met verleden en heden. Mooie foto’s. Fijn hè hond uitlaten. Vond ik ook altijd fijn zo vroeg en dan nog rustig. En nu óp naar Amersfoort? (Ik heb van iemand accentgebruik geleerd)