Gouda - Montfoort
Video + photos, made of our journey from Gouda to Montfoort.
Finally Gouda was left on Friday the 27th of August at 11:45AM, accompanied by our daughter Sascha, her eldest son Sean and the latter’s girlfriend Lisa. We’ve got already a Lisa in our family, namely our son Maarten’s wife. So inevitably we will be confronted with confusion of tongues in the future (which one do you mean??). Anyway our daughter created a nice video, using the not-for-free app ‘Relive’. We just hope the link works.
Moored in Montfoort (I)
We’re moored here at 3:18PM on the (dammed) river Hollandsche IJssel, in front of the chique mansion ‘Over IJssel’ on the opposite site. The...
Moored in Montfoort (II)
...second picture depicts the same place, in this case as seen from the front with Montfoort in the background. Here our little ship seems much shorter!
Translation: Montfoort Castle was founded around 1170 by Bishop Godfried van Rhenen. With this he wantéd to protect his territory, Het Sticht (= the town, ed.), against raids from the county of Holland. The (= A. ed) viscount lived in the castle. The viscount served the bishop. Nevertheless, a number of viscounts managed to draw a lot of power to themselves. They were highly regarded. The most important viscounts belonged to the De Rover family. From 1583 the De Merode family owned the castle and viscountcy, but they left the castle uninhabited. The name of the castle Montfoort comes from the Latin Mons Fortis (translated: strong mountain). It was a huge castle with a large tower.
Part of it was inside the city. Now the provincial road runs right across the grounds of the main castle. Only the gatehouse of the outer bailey was preserved after French soldiers destroyed the castle in 1672. The viscounts had already left Montfoort by then. The castle was sold to the States of Utrecht in 1648. The gatehouse with accompanying buildings has had different functions since then. In 1859 a prison for girls was founded here, later a state reform school for girls. The state educational institution existed here until 1968 in a modified form.’ The picture on the right shows some remnants of past glory. The stone, on top of which the above translated text, is visible on the left.
Bij de draaibrug in Montfoort eten we wel eens een ijsje en kijken we naar de boten die langs varen. Jammer dat we er niet stonden toen jullie langs vaarden! Fijne vaart nog voor de komende weken.
Diny & Simon